Sorry for the lack of updates. We’ve been really busy tackling a bunch of things with the engine swap, including a couple of issues we’ve had to fix.
Over the past few weeks we’ve been working hard in getting the engine mated with the transmission which turned into a much bigger project than we had originally anticipated. We began by installing the flywheel on the engine and it fit great! Then, we decided to attempt to polish our aluminum bellhousing and boy did that turn into a long process. We spent almost an entire day polishing that sucker and it came out pretty awesome. It could use a bit more work and elbow grease but it’s good as a start. We also fabricated a brand new clutch mount that bolts directly to the bellhousing.
The next weekend we installed the discs and pressure plate onto the engine and that went very well. It fit perfect and looked bitchin’! But when we tried mounting the bellhousing onto the engine, we ran into an issue. Due to the new dual-disc and pressure plate design, the depth was increased from what we ran with the LS3. It was incredibly close to fitting, but it was off enough to cause us an issue. So to combat this issue, we ended up countersinking all the bolts on the clutch and the bellhousing so we didn’t have any issues with it hitting the bellhousing.
After doing that, we still had a few areas where the clearance was too close for comfort. So what were we to do? Well of course; we had to figure out a way to mount the bellhousing on our machine to machine the edge down where it was hitting. After spending a couple hours machining, we finally got the bellhousing to fit. Once we got it to fit, it was time to mate the engine and the transmission.
It’s been a super busy past couple of weeks but we are finally going to get the engine and transmission into the car for the final time.
Oh and I also forgot to mention that we got the fuel tank out of the car as well. We are going with a new fuel system design (very similar to what the ZR1 Corvette uses). Basically we will have a 12-15 gallon tank in the trunk area with a smaller (2-5 gallon) tank near the engine that we use as the feed for the engine. This works very similar to a dry sump oil system that makes sure the engine gets a constant flow of fuel. (It also betters the cars weight distribution and makes the engine compartment a little bit prettier and more symmetrical, because hey, everyone loves symmetry). And we figured, it’s a purpose built sports car; we don’t need trunk space!